- The two-storey fire hall was built on the corner of Main Street and 5th Avenue. The barn was attached to the rear of the building with heavy doors opening into the fire hall. It housed two large draft horses, which were used no only for fires, but also for dray purposes by the City.
- The hose wagon was built by Grandpa Joe Pilon
- T.G. Brockelbank was the first fire chief
- The first teamsters were Angus McDonald and August Huber
- In the early days, there were 14 volunteer firemen on the roster. They were paid $2.00/per call and a $1.00 per hour after the first hour.
- A siren was installed to summon volunteer firemen, controlled by telephone operators by day and later employees of City Hall and the King George Hotel at night and on holidays.
horse powerwas supplemented with the addition of a Model T one ton Ford truck with ruxtel gear. Two 40 gallon soda-acid chemical tanks and extra hose were mounted on this truck.
- in 1928 the provincial government passed a law making it imperative that four firemen sleep in the fire hall.
- A second-hand V8 Ford chassis was purchased and the chemicals and hose box were transfered to this chassis. An International truck chassis with American LaFrance fire fighting equipment was purchased in the 1950's.
- The original fire hall was torn down and new headquarters for the fire equipment was relocated in 1955, in the 200 block 3rd Ave West.
The City of Melville Fire and Rescue has an
Fires to Remember over the years
- 1916, Union Church
- 1916, Blacksmith's Shop 3rd Ave & Saskatchewan St.
- 1924, east side of the 100 Block of Main St. A fire destroyed two barber shops, three cafes, and a poolroom. The only building left standing on that block was Fred Ralston's shoe repair shop.
- 1930, the C.N.R. car shops and coal docks burnt down
- 1939, St. Henry's School and Church
- 1952, Queen Street Arena
- 1953, Searle Grain Elevator
- 1954, 2nd Ave Arena
- 1960, St. Henry's Church
- 1962, The Melville Advance
- 2000, Pool Elevator
- 2010, King George Hotel